Cycling Insurance

As a condition of joining the Penge Cycle Club all members must have third party liability insurance as provided by one of the main cycling organisations such as British Cycling; the Cyclists Touring Club; or the London Cycling Campaign (or with the equivalent from another provider).  Members must submit their membership number and renewal date as proof of being covered before membership with us is approved.

As Penge CC is affiliated with British Cycling, we can offer a 1st year discounted price on British Cycling’s Ride Membership and a reduction on any Race Memberships. (Please note the Bronze race membership has no 3rd party insurance – only the Silver and Gold race memberships have insurance). To apply please follow the link to the British Cycling Membership pages and insert the codes:

  • Race Membership = NEWCMRA
  • Ride Membership = NEWCMRD

British Cycling’s Commute Membership insurance does not cover club rides and British Cycling’s Fan Membership has no insurance so no codes or reductions are given for these.

Why do you need third liability party insurance?

Covers you in the event of being involved in a crash with another road user, be they a pedestrian, cyclist or vehicle driver, where the other party makes an injury or damages claim against you.

Most organisations will also provide you with free legal advice in the event of being involved in an accident where you have been injured or suffered damage to your bike and need to make a claim against the other party. They will also provide advice on other cycling related legal issues you might have.

Club members MUST provide details of this including the name of the organisation and their membership number.

Roadside Assistance & Breakdown

A limited number of organisations provide a Cycle Roadside Assistance Service, including Cycleguard and the Environmental Transport Association (ETA). Both these organisations also offer theft and damage insurance. British Cycling have negociated special discounts for its members with Cycleguard.

Please note that there are other companies with cycling related insurance. The information presented on this page is for general guidance only and that members with specific queries should contact the individual companies/organisations for further details and clarification.

What type of cycling are you covered for?

The third party liability insurance covers you when you are commuting, cycling while on business (apart from specific cycle work such as working as a cycle courier), leisure riding and touring. British Cycling also covers you for some competitions – such as audax, sportive events and time trials.

Competitive Cycling; for most forms of competitive cycling such as Road Racing and Track Racing you will be covered by the event insurance. Please note that you will need a racing licence from British Cycling.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.